- If you honored the Local 2 picket line between 10/4 and 11/28 and completed the Local 2 Solidarity Form, your check(s) have been processed and mailed. If you do not receive your check(s) by Monday, December 3, 2018, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the hotel you work at, the dates you were scheduled to work and the dates you honored the Local 2 picket line.
- For dates between 11/29/2018 and 12/3/2018 that you were scheduled to work but chose to honor the Local 2 picket line, please complete the form below.
Local 2 Reaches Tentative Agreement with the Marriott Corporation
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 3, 2018
Contact: Ted Waechter, 919-636-1124, email@example.com
Twitter: @UniteHereLocal2 #1job #MarriottStrike
UNITE HERE Local 2 Hotel Workers Reach Tentative Agreement with Marriott
After More than Two Months on Strike, Historic Deal Sets New Standard for San Francisco Hotel Industry
San Francisco, Calif.–After more than two months on strike, nearly 2,500 UNITE HERE Local 2 hotel workers reached a tentative agreement on a new contract with Marriott last night. The historic deal includes life-changing wage standards, affordable health care coverage, job security protections, and relief from unsafe workloads. The tentative agreement ends the longest large-scale work stoppage that San Francisco’s hotel industry has seen in decades. Pending a ratification vote that is now underway, hotel workers will return to work on Wednesday, 63 days after the strike began under the slogan, “one job should be enough.”
Media are invited to attend the ratification vote count and announcement of results at 6:00pm. Please confirm to firstname.lastname@example.org for location details.
“Three generations of my family have to share one apartment because my job at Marriott isn’t enough. Because of what we won in this strike, I’ll be able to afford a better place,” said Candida Kevorkian, who works in housekeeping at Marriott’s Westin St. Francis and serves on the union’s bargaining committee along with 180 other rank-and-file hotel workers. “I’m so proud and happy that my coworkers and I stayed strong and united. Together we won a better life.”
“This hard-fought contract sets a new and transformative standard for San Francisco’s hotel industry,” said UNITE HERE Local 2 President Anand Singh. “During more than two months on strike, hotel workers’ resolve never wavered, and neither did the support and solidarity of our community. Now it’s time for every hotel company to follow Marriott’s lead.” Contract negotiations will soon begin for more than 5,500 San Francisco hotel workers at other companies; these workers have been without a contract since mid-August. Details of the contract with Marriott, which will last through 2022, will be made available in days following the ratification vote.
Since early October, nearly 8,000 Marriott hotel workers have gone on strike in Boston, Detroit, Maui, Oahu, Oakland, San Diego, San Jose, and San Francisco. San Francisco is the last city to settle, concluding a record-breaking, coast-to-coast campaign by workers at the richest hotel company in human history.
UNITE HERE Local 2 is the hospitality workers’ union and represents over 12,000 members in the hotel, food service, and airport industries in San Francisco and San Mateo counties, including Marriott employees at seven San Francisco hotels: The Courtyard Marriott Downtown, the Marriott Marquis, the Marriott Union Square, the Palace Hotel, the St. Regis, the W, and the Westin St. Francis. Learn more at www.unitehere2.org.
November 16, 2018
Unite Here Local 2 and the Marriott corporation has continued to have very difficult negotiations with no deal in sight. Now, Local 2 members are on strike to demand a fair contract.
Click here to read the November 16, 2018 Local 2 Update
What to know:
- Your Union contract completely protects all members from any discipline for honoring the Local 2 picket line.
- Your health insurance coverage is good until 10/31/18, based on your working and/or being paid 80 hours in September.
- Your Union will pay the members honoring the picket line $100 a day. The daily compensation will be revisited as the strike progresses. (If you choose to honor the picket line, please complete the reimbursement form below.)
- If you are working when the picket lines are put up, inform your manager and punch out.
- If you are off property, inform your manager that you will be out honoring the picket line. Be sure to call in each day. Use whatever method is consistent with your call off procedures.
It is vitally important that we collectively show our Local 2 brothers and sisters we have their backs and also show the solidarity Local 856 prides itself on.